The Product Owner needs a blend of the skills usually separated by traditional roles, should have empathy with the customers and and should have some knowledge of how software is developed and deployed.
Product Owner Skills
Originally uploaded by sjb140470
- Synthesises the needs of the customers and the various stakeholders.
- Performs competitive research and analysis.
- Assists with product marketing strategy and devises pricing model.
- Conducts acceptance tests.
- Demonstrates the product to customers.
- Collects customer feedback and transforms it into new features or enhancements.
- Responsible for the business value delivered by the team.
- Helps the team plan the content of each iteration given costs (estimates) and risks.
- Provides feedback and makes decisions that steer the team based on what’s delivered every iteration.
- Communicates progress to the Product Sponsor and stakeholders.
- Why not put the Product Owner in charge of the budget? After all, he is responsible for maximising return on investment in every iteration.
- Articulates the product vision and business strategy to the team and defines goals that realise the product vision.
- Writes and evolves user stories to a suitable level of detail given their position in the Product Backlog.
- Communicates the details of the user stories so they can be captured as acceptance tests.
- Prioritises user stories in the Product Backlog by business value.
- Manages the Product Backlog in response to changes.
- Collect information about the product to help make better decisions relating to future functionality and business value.